Monday, June 14, 2010

A Dustland Fairytale

This is not my first go round with the blogging. My blogging journey has gone something like this:


Once upon a time, a young woman kept a blog (the year was 2005, and the concept of blogging was newish to her) and she was very excited about it. Her spouse thought it was the dumbest thing he had ever heard of and mocked her writing with some regularity. "I know it's not art," she said, "but it is mine."


"I'm sure you can find better things to do," he said sourly.


Our heroine's spirit was crushed and she crept away from the keyboard in defeat.


However, in this as in ALL good fairy tales, the naysayer was banished from the kingdom and a freewheeling spirit of blogging once again ruled the land. "Tra laaaaa" sang our heroine (because she was once again allowed to sing), "Let there be blogging for everyone!"


This was when she discovered that not everyone enjoys being discussed in a blog, especially when the description was more comical than flattering. "Hmmm," she thought, pushing her glasses up on her nose, "I should probably try to figure out the where to draw the line between 'things that happen to people I know' and 'things that happen to people I know that are also okay to write about', lest I seriously annoy those I enjoy." Caught up in the details, her blogging slowed ... and slowed ... and stopped.


Alas, however, she found she missed it. "It's not that my life is so interesting," she thought to herself, "but that I have things to say, and I would like the chance to say them."


She suddenly brightened: "Ah ha!" she thought, "I shall post a disclaimer!"


****Disclaimer: If I know you, the likelihood that you will end up in a blog posting at some point is ... well, it's high. Also, I am a big fan of telling the truth, and as I have some, um, complicated relationships with people, they might not enjoy reading said blog or hearing about it later. I'd like to apologize to my family in advance because -- well, the fact that you're completely nuts makes you very funny, and also pretty much guarantees that I will write about you. So, there you go. Disclaimer complete***


No comments:

Post a Comment