Sunday, May 11, 2014

Mother's Day

My mother is my best friend and hands-down favorite person on the planet.

Having said that, I know that I'm not always easy to have as a daughter. I've caused my folks a tremendous amount of worry and stress over the last ten years or so -- probably more than an adult child should. Despite that, my parents continue to love and believe in me.

Even when -- actually, especially when -- I don't believe in myself. 

My mum is the nicest person I know. She's the most forgiving and the strongest and the best. She's funny and smart and self deprecating and cool.

She's the person I know I can talk to about anything. She's the person who will laugh with me, cry with me, and tell me that anyone who doesn't think I'm awesome is a moron (she may be wrong about that last bit, but I'm not going to argue with her).

My mom taught me to love books, and music, and that you can make your own adventures. She taught me the power of friendship and family. She has demonstrated time and again that if you do what's right, you'll never really fail. 

Every day, my mom shows me the kind of person I want to be. 

Happy Mother's Day to my mom. You're a rock star, and I love you to pieces. So there.

And now? Ten things I learned from my mom.

10. James Taylor can provide an appropriate soundtrack for practically any moment.

9. Learn to cook, and you'll never be hungry. 

8. You're never too old to learn to do something new.

7. It's not hard to be nice to people. 

6. Everything will work out. Have faith.

5. Road trips demand Barry Manilow music. This is not up for debate.

4. You'll always feel good about yourself if you have earrings and your nails are pretty.

3. A cup of tea will cure just about anything.

2. Always have tissues in your purse.

1. Never forget that you are loved.

No comments:

Post a Comment