My nephew is due to be born in about two weeks.
Frankly, the idea of parenthood completely boggles my mind. I don't know what I'd do if I was about to have a baby. Well, that's not quite true. I'd eat Ben and Jerry's with impunity and wear sweatpants everywhere I went and threaten with bodily harm anyone who suggested that either of those were poor choices. Also, "Because I'm pregnant" would get tacked onto just about every sentence, in case anyone FORGOT that was the case... and all of those things makes me realize how lucky everyone is that I will never have children. But I digress; what I mean to say is that the responsibility of teaching a little person about the world and his place in it is HUGE.
And since I get to be the auntie, I realize that I share some of the responsibility of that.
So I've been trying to think of things that I really want to teach the little critter. Here's what I've come up with so far:
1. You won't always get everything you want. You won't enjoy this, but it's actually okay. Life would be pretty boring if you got everything you wanted. Sometimes, you get something other than what you thought you wanted, and it's more amazing than what you dreamed of. (You're going to have to take my word for this one, but trust me. I wouldn't lie to you.)
2. Never say you don't like something until you actually try it. (Because you might turn out to LOVE it... but if you didn't try it, you'd totally be missing out.)
3. Never be afraid to ask for help when you need it.
4. Never be afraid to help someone else if they need it.
5. Trust yourself. You know more than you think you do.
6. All of your life, the world will be telling you what you SHOULD want, what you SHOULD strive for, what you SHOULD have. Listen to what your heart tells you and work towards for what you do want, what you feel passionately about, what you need. You need to form and believe in your own standards.
7. It takes no time and very little effort to be polite and kind to everyone you meet, and it always worth it in the end.
8. You're going to encounter people you don't like in this life. You are not required to like everyone. Not everyone is required to like you. But we all need to get along, so you need to do your best. Remember: you are no better than anyone else.
9. The world is a big, big place. See as much of it as you can.
10. Auntie Yellie always has your back.
It's a work in progress. Hopefully, I'll have a little more added when he finally gets here!