Tuesday, September 13, 2011

Snippets of Letters I Will Never Send

Dear A --

I was thinking of you yesterday, and it actually made me smile. Apparently I've forgiven you, despite the fact that you seem determined to be an incredible asshat. Oops, maybe I haven't totally forgiven you. But still, I smiled. That's something, isn't it?


Dear B --

I know that I hurt you, and you know that I didn't mean to. We were just two people who were standing in the same station, but who were never meant to get on the same train. We're destined to be different places... but I'm glad to have been able to share those moments with you, as temporary as they were. You've made the trip more bearable.

Dear C --

What. The. Hell ?!?!!? No, really. WHAT THE HELL?

Dear D --

It's no secret that you don't like me. You've never liked me. The difference is that I've stopped caring.  I hope you have a truly marvelous life and find some sort of contentment; I'm going to go do my thing now. Good luck to you.

Dear E --

You saved my life. "Thank you" doesn't seem like enough, but since you keep refusing my efforts to give you a kidney or a first born or all of my money, it's going to have to do. Thank you. Thank you. Thank you. (I'm holding the kidney in reserve, though. Keep me posted.)

Dear F --

I don't know how it is that you keep showing up -- either you're in my orbit or I'm in yours -- but every time you do, it reminds me that a) I am blessed and b) that love doesn't have to be complicated and showy and fancy. It can be as warm and comforting as an old, beloved sweater... is it weird that I just compared you to a sweater? Or are you laughing because you totally get it? I'm going for the latter ...


Dear G --

I refer to you as "Incredibly Sketchy G" among my friends, but there's something about you... I can't decide if that something is super annoying (it might be) or unbelievably attractive. FRUSTRATING. And also, why you get to be the Sketchmeister. I suspect that it's all part of your evil plan.

Dear H --

Thank you for being my family, for gently and quietly drawing me in until I felt included and loved, and for giving me someplace to escape to when I need a little more normal, and for making my usual brand of crazy just seem like a quirk and not like, you know, actual insanity. And also for being willing to read my run on sentences when they get a little out of control. And for being tolerant of my sentences that start with "and" because I can't seem to stop doing that.

No comments:

Post a Comment