Friday, September 9, 2011

I and Love and You

I'm trying to think of a good way to launch into this post, but perhaps there isn't one. So instead of trying to be crafty, I'll be blunt.

My friend's baby has cancer.

I have rewritten this follow up sentence about 10 times, and keep deleting what I have typed because none of them convey anything that carries any meaning. Nothing that I can say next matters, I don't think, except that her baby is sick, her world is crumbling, and she is fighting in ways that I cannot comprehend or express.

I will not tell her story here, as it is hers to tell and not mine. My story, in connection to this, is a sense of helplessness. I would so, so like to find a way to put my shoulder under a corner of the load she is carrying and lift some of it for her.

Because when you love someone, that's what you do. You try to help. In big ways, and in small ones. You listen and you encourage and you lend a hand and you give a hug and you make sure that no one is alone who doesn't want to be, and you keep doing it for as long as it takes, whenever it takes.

Sometimes, that's all there is... and it's the best there is.

No comments:

Post a Comment