Wednesday, September 14, 2011

Bafflement

I find myself swimming in a pool full of "I don't get it" today, so I thought I'd share some of what is making my brain hurt a little as I puzzle through.

1. It's all  Greek (yogurt) to me

So there's regular yogurt -- the kind I've been eating and not enjoying for years -- and now there's also Greek yogurt. (Which is probably not a new development in Greece, but it's fairly new to my local, decidedly not hip supermarket.)

People seem to love the Greek yogurt. A LOT. To the extent that every yogurt maker and his Uncle Kostos are now marketing Greek yogurt.

I don't like regular yogurt, but I admit, my curiosity was engaged by the way people rave about the deliciousness of the Greek version, so I tried it. Then, convinced I must be missing something vital, I tried several MORE brands. In several more flavours. And I have to say to all of the Greek Yogurt praising folk out there: People, I think you've been snowed. It's just as yucky as regular yogurt.

I don't get it.

2. Feeding your baby is a REALLY big deal

Okay, so obviously, despite the fact that I don't now and never have had a baby, I know you have to feed them. I'm not 100% comfortable around babies, but I'm not dumb.

I just didn't realize until so many of my friends started having babies what a minefield the "how and what you feed your infant" is.

Oh boy. It's a vicious, vile, weapons hurling, insult flinging, heaping helping of crazy. The militant breastfeeder people think that giving your child formula -- or even admitting the existence of formula -- is a crime against humanity and that a mom who is horrible enough to give her child formula is unfit and should probably lose custody of that child and then be stoned in public. Because -- the HORROR.

And the militant formula people NEVER want to see breastfeeding occuring. EVER. Please, mothers of infants, they ask, do not have the audacity to breastfeed in PUBLIC. Where innocent eyes might see -- a breast! Oh, the HUMANITY! Have you no SHAME?

 I don't get it. Babies need food. Breast milk is food. Formula? Is also food.  So maybe you, Crazy Breastfeeding Lady, don't want to give your baby formula. Fine with me. And maybe you, Crazy Formula Lady, don't want to watch someone breastfeed. It's called "LOOKING AWAY" -- give it a go. Either way, don't we all want the same things? Babies with full bellies? Babies who aren't hungry? Don't new moms have enough on their plate without also being made to feel ashamed of their choices regarding how to feed their babies?

3. Single White Female Seeking ... Sanity

I was talking about dating sites last night with a friend. I'm not currently using a dating site because my tangling with a very popular site went sideways. I won't name it directly, but it rhymes with ZCarmoney. Do with that what you will.

Anyway.

This dating site doesn't offer services to gay people. No matches for the gay people!

However, it did match me with several MARRIED people.

For this site, Gay = Bad. But ADULTEROUS = A-ok.

Is it me, or is that jacked beyond all recognition? I don't get it!

Sigh. The world. It is a confusing place.

No comments:

Post a Comment