Friday, October 28, 2011

It's Halloween in New England, Kids

The first Halloween I spent in North Carolina totally freaked me out, because every trick or treater who came to the house had something in common:

I could TOTALLY tell what their costume was.

If you grew up north of the Mason-Dixon line, you know how crazy and amazing that is.

I may have mentioned it, but here's how costumes tend to work in New England: Put costume on. Admire self in mirror. Then put on poofy down parka, a scarf, and some gloves. Possibly add a hat. Congratulations! You have now eradicated any visible sign of your fabulous costume! Now go out and ask strangers for candy!

It's COLD on Halloween, y'all.

I mention this because I have carefully crafted a costume that I am SUPER excited about. To wear on Saturday night.

And I just got a notice from the weather channel saying we could get, oh I don't know ... six inches of heavy slushy snow. (Favorite part of the advisory was where it said "could continue through the wee hours of Sunday morning." Really? The wee hours? Is that a special meteorology term?)

I'm trying to be positive and optomistic and all of that, but mostly? I'm ANNOYED. First, because Mother Nature has no business mucking about with snow in October. I live in New Hampshire, not the frozen tundra. I demand a recount. I'd like to lodge a formal protest.

Also, I need to point out that my costume involves some serious boots with serious heels. This is footwear that is NOT messing around people. They make me, oh I don't know, 5 inches taller? (Which, by the way, is AWESOME.) I can barely walk on my regular feet, let alone my monster fabulous boots. If it snows? Start making bets about which bones I'm going to break when I land on my ass on the snow covered sidewalk now, and which ER I end up in, because it's probably going to happen.

Ah New England. How you mock me and my Halloween efforts.

I know what has to be done. I've already done it. I'm airing out my down parka. I found my hat and mittens. I'm ready to go. You won't know what I'm dressed as in all of my puffy purple finery.

But at least you'll be able to see my boots.

3 comments:

  1. Wait until you see the photos. I'm talking fabulousness, y'all. Happy Halloween one and all!

    ReplyDelete