Tuesday, December 27, 2011

Thirty-Six (or, 29 plus 7 years of AWESOME)

When your birthday is squashed between Christmas and New Year, you sort of learn to make your own festivities, because people are:

1)      Tired.

2)      BROKE.

3)      Busy.

4)      Did I mention tired?

When I was teaching, I would have my birthday off. My mom and her friend Debbie and I used to go to Boston for the day. However, in my current career path, taking my birthday off is not an option, so unless it’s on the weekend, I will be working on my birthday.

Sort of like right now.

However, it’s not so bad. I mean, when you look at previous birthday events, a little work is a good thing.  For example, spending the day working beats the year I had mono on my birthday.

It’s also better than the year I got DUMPED on my birthday. (“You’re a great girl, but I’ve also been seeing someone else – I should have mentioned that – and I like her better. Sorry. Oh, and happy birthday!”)

Of course, when it IS your birthday, people inevitably ask the following questions.

What are you doing?

What do you want?

What I’m doing? Is kind of nothing except for working. I did make myself an “It’s my Birthday!” playlist. I’ll share it, since I’m feeling generous. (Yes, I know they’re a weird mix of songs. But let’s review: MY BIRTHDAY. MY weird playlist.)

Placebo – Running Up That Hill

Billy Idol – Cradle of Love

Florence + The Machine – Shake it Out

30 Seconds to Mars – Hurricane

Chris Isaak – Baby Did a Bad Bad Thing

Depeche Mode – It’s No Good

James Blunt – Stay the Night

Kelly Clarkson – Mr Know It All

The Killers – A Dustland Fairytale

Melissa Etheridge – No Souvenirs

Pentatonix – Love Lockdown

Lady Gaga – You and I

The Rolling Stones – Gimme Shelter

Sara Bareilles – Let the Rain

Good musical times.

What do I want for my birthday?

Honestly, I pretty much have everything I could want or need. I love and am loved. I have shelter and employment and warm clothes and food.  I’m happy. Every day I am able to find reasons to laugh and smile and sing.

So what else could I want?

To be honest, and completely serious, I want everyone else to have those things that I have. Love. Laughter. Happiness.

So my birthday wish this year? Isn’t for myself, but for others. That everyone I meet is able to find their joy. That I can find ways to help people who aren’t as blessed to be able to say that they have what they need. To give more than I take.

That’s my birthday wish this year. That’s what I want.

(and having a good playlist certainly doesn’t hurt either.)

1 comment:

  1. Your willingness to (want to do) as apose to (need) for your birthday shows a great deal about your character! Those who want nothing for themselves and choose to give instead is an incrediable attribute! We need more people like you in the world Danielle, whose kind and giving! I too give!,,, mostly to veterans addmin, and wounded warrier projects however you have inspired me too give even more. Not that I have ever really done anything w/ my birthdays (I think I have mentioned in an earlier post to you that I choose not to think about my birthday and if it was to slip by without anyone saying anything I would be ok with that) but now after reading what you said, I think that I will actually use my birthday time to do something good for one of charities! Thanks for the inspiration..........Oh and ~Happy Birthday~............(A)

    ReplyDelete