Friday, February 10, 2012

Filling The World With Silly Love Songs

Maybe you’re a person who totally mocks schmaltzy, goofy, "omgpookiewookumslistenit’sOURSONG” kind of music.

I need to out myself right now: I am NOT one of those people.

Okay, there are a few songs that immediately make me feel like I need to barf, but they’re generally not love songs, per say. For example, “Butterfly Kisses” played at a wedding makes me want to run screaming from the dancefloor, razor blade in hand and a therapist on speed dial.  But other than that – hey, what can I tell you? Who doesn’t love love?

I love love.

So I made a Valentine’s Day playlist. FOR MYSELF. Because – well, no one else is going to do it. And this girl wants to hear some silly love songs!

Now you might be thinking, doesn’t listening to these songs DEPRESS you, Single Person?

Nope.

Here’s why: I know that I’m single by choice.
First: I don’t enjoy the term “girlfriend” because at my age? Seriously. 

Second:  I don’t have the time to be in a relationship right now. My job is kind of all consuming, what with the constant stress and ridiculously long hours and ulcer inducement.  Healthy? Not really. Realistic? Yes. Would it be fair for me to be dating? No. Did I try it anyway? Yes. Did that end badly? Kinda. (Translation: Yes.  And mostly my fault. I’ll own it.)

Third: Just because I’m not in looooooove right now? Doesn’t mean I can’t appreciate some love songs.  A lot. Because, hey, fun.

If I’ve said that I loathe Valentine’s Day – and sometimes I do – it’s not because I’m in a relationship or not in one:  it’s because it’s artificial and I think it causes people to express their love because they feel like they’re supposed to and not because they genuinely want to… I don’t want someone to buy me flowers or whatever because Hallmark says they should. I want someone to buy me flowers because it’s a random Tuesday and they lurrrrve me.  Way more awesome.

And not in the cards, I think.

Having said that? It’s still nice to feel a little love on the Valentine’s Day. (I KNOW, I just contradicted myself. Life. It’s complicated.)

So, I made myself a playlist of songs that I think of as love songs (and no, they’re not all happy. Because sometimes love isn’t. Deal) for my own Valentine’s Day enjoyment. FYI – I KNOW that some of you think that some of these bands are BEYOND bad. Which, fine. When I make YOU a playlist, I’ll leave them off. Okay? No need to hate on the ONE thing I’m enjoying for V-Day this year.

And here is sampling of the songs (there are 36 (because I’m 36! Fun!)… I’m not listing them all because that would be ridiculous.)

Ben Folds “The Luckiest”

Biffy Clyro “Many of Horror”

Dave Matthews Band “My Baby Blue”

Mark Cohn “Perfect Love”

Neil Diamond “Forever in Blue Jeans”

Peter Gabriel “In Your Eyes”

The Killers “A Dustland Fairytale”

Christina Perri “Arms”

Atomic Tom “Take Me Out”

Foo Fighters “Everlong”

Pink “Glitter in the Air”

REM “Nightswimming”

Sinead O’Connor “Angel”

Queen “These Are the Days of Our Lives”

30 Seconds to Mars “The Kill”

Here’s to love. And playlists. And lovesongs.

No comments:

Post a Comment