Wednesday, February 22, 2012

Facing The Day

Stumble out of bed at 5:00 AM. Wander into bathroom. Turn on light. Look in mirror.

Gasp in horror. Rub eyes and step closer to mirror.

Normally this would be when my first thought it “What is my hair DOING? It’s all defying gravity and stuff! That is some scary assed hair!”

However. That is not what happened today.

Today, the gasp of horror was so – well, horrified – that I then whispered out loud, to the no one there, “Where did I go?”

Lest you be thinking I discovered that I was invisible (and right about now, that would be AWESOME), I have not become one of the non-sparkly undead and still actually show up in mirrors. Even though – right now? That’s not handy.

No, I was still there. Or someone who has my bad morning hair and my eyes was still there. The rest of my face, however, was … obscured.

By a bumpy, red, itchy rash. Which looked as though it not only had plans to stay for a bit, but which ALSO looked like it might try a neck takeover next. I could practically hear it plotting its strategy for a hostile takeover. “The eyelids look like a good location! And over by the ears – we need that for … well, because! GET THE EARS!”

Here’s the thing about having a horrible rash on your face: suddenly, your non-rash face seems perfect. You realize how much time you spent thinking you should look better, thinking that if only you looked like that instead of this, not appreciating how unique and fabulous you are, and now you wish you could just have that face back.

I wish I could have MY face back. My non itchy face. My non red face. And hopefully I will.

And hopefully when I do, I will appreciate it a little bit more.

No comments:

Post a Comment