Monday, November 7, 2011

How Novel

As many of you know, I've been writing a novel. For, oh, I don't know, a couple of years.

I took some time to re-read what I've got over the weekend.

And I have something to say about it:

It's not very good.

At first, it was a little disheartening to realize that something I've put a lot of time and effort into is essentially suited only for lining the cat's litter box (which actually might have been too fancy a job for these particular pages, but that's beside the point).

After I got over the, "Oh my, but this is not very good," I realized WHY it's not very good.

It's not good because it tries too hard.

It's not good because it doesn't sound like me.

It's not good because it's not coming from the place that good stories come from.

Listen, I know my strengths -- I'm informal and chatty and I like a good story. The story I wanted to tell was an interesting story and a good idea, but it's not .... how to say it? I didn't own the story.

This should make me sad, but it doesn't. It actually makes me kind of happy. Because it's a chance for me to let go of the thing I was tied to -- this idea of how a novel should work, what it should look like -- and do what I do, what I'm good at, and what I love: sit down with a reader and just tell a story.

I'm starting from scratch -- and I'm thrilled.

5 comments:

  1. If you honestly feel that way, then carry on no further! In the overall end it's not about how much time you have vested, or wheather or not it's you.... None of which should matter! If you proceed to start over, then due so but take into consideration the amount of time already spent on what you already have...perhaps it just needs re-wording? After all you have spent countless hours getting your novel to wear it is..maybe a re-read and a tweek here and a tweek there is all it's needs. Good Luck! hope this helps.....

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think I can re-work some of what I've got into something that doesn't make me cringe -- we shall see!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm sure that you can...you seem talented enough...in this day and age god only knows what flows through a persons mind...There tends to be to many distractions and before you even know what you said it's already all on paper! Perhaps even having a secound or third party read it or read it in front of you would be a option? Theres bound to be something in there you can use to build off of.....
    I can only imagine the difficulties in writing a novel, it's certainly not my first choice. Imagine how it would read! It would branch off into so many different directions that neither myself or anyone else could follow....Wow! not for me!
    You must be quit the intellectual to even embark on such a journey. I hope you choose to continue,,can't waite to see how it all turns out.......

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can indeed use portions of it, so it's not a lost cause. Thank you for the encouragement!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh your entirely welcome

    ReplyDelete