Wednesday, December 16, 2015

Baby Steps

Someone older than me -- my mom's age -- said to me: "I wouldn't want to bring children into today's world." I didn't know how to respond, so I just made an affirmative noise.

The thing is, though, that she has children. So technically? She did bring children into today's world because it is now and she has children who live here. 

The other thing is that her statement implies such a loss of hope, as though the world is terrible and nothing can be done, and children -- her own, her grandchildren, children everywhere -- will simply suffer through life.

I don't believe that. I can't.

I believe that, in spite of everything, people are mostly good.

I believe our love for each other can be so much stronger than our hatred and fear.

I believe that if you dare to act for good, you can change the world, one person at a time.

And I believe that today's children could be as blessed as yesterday's if we are only willing to use our energy on their behalf. We could change their present to something more beautiful and make their future amazing.

We just have to be willing to try.

No comments:

Post a Comment