Thursday, November 10, 2011

What's My Age Again?

All of a sudden, I have decided that I'm 36.

This is weird, because I'm not 36. I won't be 36 until the end of December.

For some reason, however, my brain has decided that I'm no longer 35. I am DEFINITELY 36. If you stopped me on the street and asked me how old I am (which, by the way, would be an odd thing to do -- why are you stopping people on the street and randomly asking them how old they are, you cheeky devil?) I would probably say "36 ... no, wait, 35."

I know that I'm not alone in this phenomenon. I have a friend who has been telling people that she's 40 since before she even turned 39. For the record? She still hasn't turned 40. But she's been thinking 40ish thoughts for a couple of years, so 40 it is.

I don't think there's anything significant about being 36. It's not one of those ages that gets a lot of bells and whistles; no one has a "Big Three-Six" party. (Okay, now I'm thinking that I might have one, because it's kind of fun to say Big Three-Six, and it would be quirky and silly.) There are no specialty balloons or products or drinkie poos for turning 36.

So what's my deal?

I don't know. Maybe it's that my early thirties were really difficult -- the kind of difficult that generally, one spends time discussing on a couch in a therapist's office (but I have a blog, hahaha) and I'm eager to see the back of them, to move towards my late thirties and all of the other things that wait for me.

That could be it. That doesn't feel wrong, but it doesn't precisely feel correct either; I don't think of myself as running from the past, though I do see myself as embracing the future in all of its unknown glory.

Maybe it's more this: I know too many people who are saddened about getting older, who view adding a year to their age as a marker of how much closer they are to the end; I LIKE getting older, because each birthday is a marker of how much time I've been here, and how much I still have to look forward to.

So perhaps, at the end of the day, the actual number doesn't matter. Maybe I don't need to remember -- 35? 36? What difference does it make? What is significant is that every day, I laugh and I love and I am happy -- and I have more laughter and love and happiness to look forward to. No matter how old I am.

3 comments:

  1. I too find myself pondering these same dilemmas about age. I myself am 35 and at constant battle with myself to remember my age. There have been a few time that I have just down right FORGOTTEN how old I really am! How does one do that? I relate it mostly to the fact that I spend the majority of my time around older people. I find that I'm more intune with the older generation. Not just few years older mind you but like 20 years older. I seem to relate best with people in there low to mid 50's. I always thought I was born a couple of generations too late...LOL!
    Perhaps this is why you feel the way you do about your age? Age is a strange thing,,,it holds no barriers....not in love and not in friendship. So I guess what choose to do with it is up too you..............

    ReplyDelete
  2. I do find that the closer I get to my actual birthday, the more likely I am to space on my age -- but I think that forgetting how old you are is possible when you spend your days focusing on what's happening, how you're living, and enjoying your time here rather than fretting about it. So kudos to you for having those moments where how old you are is so unimportant that you forget about it entirely!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Weeeeellllll, Theres a flip side to this story too. Not really sure if it's good or bad,(you can be the judge)But birthdays have never been that awe inspiring moment for me. I rather choose to forget them but certain people in my life refuse to let that happen. If I could make it through a birthday without someone saying the actual words to me that would be the best gift of all. But instead I nervously wait for the unsuspecting person to spring it on me (usually in front of a group of people)which I absolutely can not stand. So I try things like staying very busy and away from everyone around that time in hopes that I don't get cornered with it. But all in all yes I do find it to be very unimportant and would like nothing more then to have to not give it another thought!............

    ReplyDelete