Tuesday, November 29, 2011

So Much For That

I've never known quite what to do on my ex-iversary. (That would be the anniversary of your marriage to someone you are no longer married to. Yes, I made that word up, but I feel justified in doing so.)

My friends and family, I think, would like me to pretend that it doesn't exist. Like it's another day in a series of days that has no signifcance or import.

Which would probably be fine, I think. Except for the fact that it's the day I got married. Except for the fact that it's the day I trusted my heart in the care of someone else.  Which, yes, ultimately turned out to be an error.

But still.

I don't know what to do with this day. I don't know how to mark it, and yet I feel it should be marked, somehow. I can't mark it with a communication with my ex -- we don't do that anymore. And what would I say? Thank you for loving me enough, at least for one day? Thanks for letting me go when you didn't want me anymore?

Thanks for giving me something that I didn't know enough to want on my own?

Because as it turns out, leaving me was the kindest thing my ex ever could have done. And I would thank him, if we were at a place where we spoke with one another.

I would thank him.

But we're not.

But... if we were? Perhaps I would say this: You hurt me, so much. And yet, despite all of that, I owe you, in some strange and undefinable way, for setting me free from a relationship that, at the end, only caused me pain. I should have been stronger, earlier. You should have been kinder, much much sooner. But I learned many many things, and for that I should thank you, though I think you'll forgive me in the end for my failure to do so.

I want you to be happy.

Because, and this is the most magical thing of all: I am happy.

Today? Would be my wedding anniversary. So I'd like to take this time to wish my ex husband nothing but the best. Because, as it turns out, we were both meant for many things, but sadly, we were not meant for each other.

It seems like so little.

And at the same time? So much.

4 comments:

  1. Wow! You have such an open heart! To be able to speak good words about a person who altimately devasted a relationship with you is incrediable! I'm not sure if I know anyone else like that? I've always seen and known that all things end badly or they don't end at all.......Leaving behind alot of hate and discontent.....
    I too am devorced and having just read your blog,,,,have tried to ask myself if I could say anything good about the person who ruined my life,,,leaving me feeling betrayed and helpless with no sence of direction?????
    I don't think I can?!?!?!
    Even after almost tens years of being divorced I still can't find the strength to let go of all my anger.....
    One of my biggest flaws is an inhilabilty to let things go....which I know is bad!
    I need to find a way to be more open with things so I can let go of past......holding to all this hate is just going to cause an explosion some day...most likely on some innocent bi-standard! None of which would be productive for either side!
    Where do you find your strength? ______________


    Do you think it will ever back fire on you? ________________



    Do you think he feels the same? ________________





    Does he or would he pay you the same respect? _______________





    Curious.....I'm torn with your decision...good? or bad?


    Respectively..................(A)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Here's the thing about my ex (or any ex, for that matter): If I hate him, if I harbour resentment towards him, if I continue to carry anger towards him, does it hurt him? Or does it only hurt me? Does it help my life in any way to be carrying around a tremendous amount of negativity? Who does my anger or hatred really hurt? You're right -- you can't hold on to it. You have to find a way to let it go.

    And sometimes, the way to let it go is to remember: you loved that person once. You were with him or her at one time. It helps me to recall that guy, the one who was silly and funny and made me laugh. I could never be angry at that guy -- and I know that he's in there somewhere, underneath the layers that the rest of the years and stress and bills and illness piled on top of him, and it's not hard to wish him the best. I hope he finds his way back.

    I don't know if my ex feels the same; on some level, I don't care that much. I can't control how he feels or what he thinks -- those are his feelings, and not for me to dictate. What I can do, and what I try to do, is keep my heart open, and know that I've done my best, whether it works out or no.

    I hope you are able to find a way to let go of your anger toward your ex ... I find that writing works :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. True blue...I actually felt better after I had written all down and then re-read what I wrote and realised that lifes to short to be holding that much resentment torwards anyone any how! I just sucks the life force right out of you....so am I am I leting it go...at least in small quantities....lol....Thanks Danielle
    .....................(A)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't think loving and trusting someone with your heart is ever a mistake or error. The mistake or error would be never to let anyone in. None of us are perfect people we all make errors or mistakes all the time but what truly makes or breaks you as a person is how you deal with that mistake and what you take away from it. You need to learn from those errors you make and realize that you did not make an error at all you just followed your heart which is never a bad thing...sometimes I wish I did that more.

    Sometimes your heart leads you down a path that in the end put you somewhere that you didn't want to be or never expected to be. But look at the journey it took you on...you were able to open up and let someone in...never think for one second that is a mistake or error.

    But you do need to at some point stop second guessing your decisions as you made the best decision at the time...and for a while you were happy you just ended up in a place you didn't expect. Remember....how you react to a situation is what truly shapes as a person...learn from it take with you the important lessons and move on.

    ReplyDelete