Thursday, July 14, 2011

Om Nom Nom

I have eaten a lot of diet and prepacked, preprepared food in my day. How much? A lot.

Too much.

The other day I was at the grocery store and I was  standing in front of the frozen foods, contemplating yet another round of Lean Cuisine, when I realized: I don't want to eat like this anymore.

It was sort of like when I decided to stop eating meat, actually. Well, okay, it was perhaps slightly less traumatizing than the event which prompted me to become a vegetarian, but the idea of "I no longer have any desire to eat like that" part of it was similar.

I would like to eat food that has been prepared by humans. Not machines. Not things which are loaded up with chemicals to make them seem delightful even though they've been premade and frozen and sitting on a shelf.

So. I've rejoined the realms of people who actually cook things instead of simply nuking them.

You know what? It's kind of marvelous. Here's why:

1. It's cheaper.

2. The things I'm eating are tastier.

3. I LIKE to cook. Apparently, I had forgotten that.

So there you go. I don't know how long my resolve will last ... but heck, I've been a vegetarian for a little over a year. Once I got used to that, it became kind of easy. I suspect this will as well.

What do other people think? Is this crazy? Have I completely lost it? Am I WAAAAY overthinking it as usual? Let me know ...

3 comments:

  1. Summer is a fabulous time to make your own meals. All the fresh produce and fruit mean you don't really have to slave over a hot stove too much. Variations on salads = WIN. Enjoy! I confess to resorting to Lean Cuisine (there are only a few of them I find actually palatable) and SmartOnes sometimes in the dead of winter, just to mix things up a bit. Add a fresh salad and it's not too bad. But maybe I should actually read those labels!

    ReplyDelete
  2. PS Favorite easy summer meal: One Joseph's Bakery flaxseed pita bread round. Slit on one side and fill with a generous swath of hummus, some tabouli, and a slice of muenster or jack cheese. Nuke just enough to soften the cheese. Serve with fresh sliced tomatoes on the side. (If you put them in the pita bread, they'll make it fall apart.) YUM!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Danielle says: I will have to try that -- I love all of those ingredients!

    ReplyDelete