Friday, May 18, 2012

The Colour and The Shape


I have said this before, but I’m going to say it again. (And probably again, and then again, and again.)

Appearance does not dictate nationality.

You can’t declare whether or not someone is American based on what they LOOK LIKE.

You know what else you can’t determine based on appearance?

*Language skills

*Intelligence

*Political leanings

*Sexuality

*Work Ethic

*Religion

NONE of those things can be determined based on the colour of someone’s skin or any other physical feature. Not a one.

You know what can easily be determined, though? The level of bigotry and ignorance someone holds in their heart when they announce that someone is an illegal immigrant – based on appearance. When they announce that someone probably doesn’t speak English – based on appearance. When they call someone out as a terrorist – based on appearance.

It makes me sad, and it makes me ANGRY.

And I will call you out on it if you do it in front of me.

No comments:

Post a Comment