Monday, July 9, 2012

Not So Sharply Dressed Woman


This week, I have to do something that I rarely, if ever, have to do at my job:

Look like someone who knows what she’s doing.

This, as you can imagine, is stressing me out. Because while I frequently DO know what I’m doing, I also frequently look – um, not the most professional – while I’m doing it.

As an example? Today I wore soccer shorts and a tank top to work. HAWT, right?  (and a baseball cap because I’m waaay overtired and my hair is doing something so atrocious that I can’t even look at it, but not so atrocious that I can be bothered to FIX it. I’m not going anywhere today, so who cares?)

But my (somewhat religious, somewhat conservative) boss is flying into town and we need to meet with a new client.

I met this man once, about five years ago? When I had really long hair and weighed about 50 pounds more and definitely didn’t have a nose ring. I can’t remember what he looks like, but even if he DOES remember what I looked like? I don’t look like that anymore.

This is either going to be awesome or a complete disaster.

The thing that sticks in my head, though, is that I’m good at what I do. So if I present myself competently and appropriately (like, not in soccer shorts, although since I have to drive over an hour to get to said client, the shorts would be SUPER comfy) I should totally be fine, right?

I’m driving myself crazy. I have worked in an office! I know how to be professional! I used to LOVE wearing fancy shoes!

I’m keeping my soccer shorts and flip flops in the car and changing on the way home.

No comments:

Post a Comment