Wednesday, February 13, 2013

Let's Talk About Love*

* Did I just quote a Celine Dion song? Bet your bippy!
** I don't know what a bippy is...

Generally, this would be my "Valentine's Day is stupid" post, and I will confess, I still think it's really dumb kind of stupid, but that's not what this is about.

This is about love.

Because love, as the movie points out, is actually all around. You might not have a partner -- which is fine, as long as you're happy (and you should be happy by yourself, I think, before you can be happy with someone else) but there are all sorts of kinds of love that don't really get recognized on Valentine's Day or, you know, ever, and they strike me as being just as (if not more) important than the kind of love that is celebrated with lots of pink and red stuff on February 14th.

For example: I have lots of friends who have children. I don't have children, obviously, but I am continually astounded and reduced to mushy levels of awwwwwwwwwww when I see how much my friends adore their offspring, even when said offspring is being off the wall and whacked out. (Because kids? Are tiny, slightly insane people.) I see how much my friends love their kids and it's inspiring. There's really not a day set aside for celebrating that, is there? But there should be, because it's pretty amazing and deserves to be celebrated.

Also? Families. Parents and siblings and stuff. There's not really a day set aside to celebrate the fact that you adore and love your family.

And then there are your friends. If you're at all like me, you love your friends enormously. There's no "Wheee my friends are awesome and I love them" day.

Which circles me around to my beef with Valentine's Day. Do what you do on Valentine's Day, but also? If that's the only day you're letting your partner -- or family, or friends, or children -- know they are loved, and the only day that love is celebrated?

I think you're doing love a disservice.

I think if you're lucky enough to have love in your life -- in whatever form it takes -- you need to notice it. You need to celebrate it. On both the day designated by greeting card companies and every other day. Because this is life, and it's short, and things can change on a dime.

I'm just saying.

So -- enjoy the cards, and the flowers, and the chocolates and the whatevers you give and get. But also? Keep the idea that celebrating love -- all kinds of love -- is something that should be done every day. It's not enough to tell someone you love them once or twice a year.

If you love someone? Tell them today. Not because tomorrow is Valentine's Day, but because it's true and you want them to know. Also? Tell them on Friday, after Valentine's Day. Tell them on Saturday. Tell them every damn day. SHOW them every day.

It's worth it. I promise.

And ... for the record? You, Dear Reader? Well, I just adore you and your willing to put up with the silliness I post here on the regular. Love you!

No comments:

Post a Comment