Wednesday, February 11, 2015

Arguing With Logic and Reason


I don’t understand people.

I don’t understand people who think that things should be free because something went wrong. Like, if you bought a pair of shoes, and returned the shoes to where you bought them and exchanged them for a new pair of shoes, would you then ALSO demand that they give you your money back so that you have brand new shoes and your money?

You probably wouldn’t. But I can guarantee that there are a whooooole bunch of people who do, and I talk to them everrrrrryyy day.

It’s confounding to me. It makes no sense. I’m a person who buys things, and who likes them to be just the way I want them. I’m particular. I’m also reasonable and fair and … what’s the word … NOT INSANE. So if I buy a car and then two weeks later it starts making a noise? I take it in and have the noise fixed and I don’t expect to have to pay for the repair because – new car.

I DON’T take the car to be fixed, get it fixed, and then demand a brand new stereo system for free or that they give me 10% off my car or call the bank and cancel my financing because that’s not reasonable. The repair is reasonable. The idea that I am owed a bunch of additional items is not, at that point, reasonable in any way.

I think about this every time I see reports of political figures acting like spoiled children. Infighting, being ridiculous, demanding things that are not rational or logical. I think, what is up with this? They’re elected officials!

And then I think: they act just like the public they represent.

It makes me sad and frustrates me. I want logical, reasonable discourse to be the rule rather than the exception. I want to see problems and solve problems without additional, ridiculous demands tacked on. I want people to operate from a sense of fairness and justice.

That’s all. Why is it so hard?

No comments:

Post a Comment