Tuesday, September 15, 2015

Lemon Drops

There may be a time in your life when you find yourself in a really crappy situation. 

I should say, there probably has been/may currently be/will be a time in your life when the mire you are stepping in is particularly sucktastic. The law of averages says so. I mean, if not? Good for you and what's your secret because I could use it like, whoa.

Anyway. For the rest of us.

When life isn't just handing you lemons but actually insists on pelting you with them:

Hang on.

Hang on, and try to dodge.

Eventually, sooner than you think, it will be someone else's turn in the lemon-tossing contest. We all take turns in the giant citrus throwing tank. Sometimes it will be you, and you'll be a little bruised and a lot sticky, but there will be people there with band aids and towels and maybe some tequila so you can make margaritas or another refreshing beverage. When you get to climb out, you can clink glasses and commiserate on the bruises -- because they've had them too -- and then, if you're lucky, you can help the next person who gets pushed in.

I don't enjoy being in crappy situations. No one does, I think. But if they have a benefit (and I have to believe they do) it's that they can help you to become a better person. Not just because you learn from getting through them, but also because they can teach you to be more compassionate and kinder when you see someone else struggling.

I think helping each other is why we're here.

I think compassion is one of the greatest traits we can have.

And I think lemons are delicious in the right circumstances.


No comments:

Post a Comment