Thursday, September 3, 2015

Tell Me if the Bloggers are Losers

Today I read a comment on social media that said: "I feel like bloggers are losers. No one cares. You're not special."

And I thought, "Well, no kidding."

*****

When people ask me what my blog is about, I tell them it's about the random things that happen in life. And when they ask me why I write it, I say it's because I like to write.

It never occurred to me that I would blog -- or that anyone would blog -- because I believe that my life is unique or special.

It has occurred to me that I blog -- and that other people blog -- to try to erase the notion of difference on some level.

*****

I don't think I'm special.

I think I'm articulate.

*****

I think that if I have a gift -- if there's a thing I'm good at, if there's a point to my being here on this earth -- it's using words to make people feel like they're not all alone. When I do that, I begin to understand that I'm not alone either. None of us are. We're all here, alive, trying to do our best. It's good to talk about how sometimes my best is pretty feeble. It's good to talk about how it's hard to do your best when you're tired and afraid. And it's good to talk about how some days, you feel wrapped up in love like a blanket and doing your best feels like the easiest thing in the world.

If life is indeed a journey, sometimes it's awesome and sometimes it's shitty. The way to get through it is to talk about it and share it.

That doesn't mean I think I'm special. 

I'm not special. Not by myself.

But if we can use what we all know, together, as people, to help and hold each other up, then we're all special. If we can use our experiences to build community and commonality maybe the journey could be brighter and less frightening on some of the darker paths. 

So I'm going to keep right at it, because this is what I've got.

Thanks for sticking with me.




No comments:

Post a Comment