Thursday, September 10, 2015

See You Later

I hate saying goodbye to people.

I kind of suck at it.

I've been putting off and putting off coming to terms with the idea of having to slightly loosen my grip on one of my most favorite people in the world. He's just changing jobs -- no big deal, right? -- but it means that the hours we used to spend on the phone, kvetching and problem solving, are really over.

This is a guy who, when I started seeing The Fella, wanted to know if he was good enough for me.

This is a man who, when he knew I was struggling with something, called me to make sure I was okay. We supported each other.

I don't have any biological brothers.

But I have Bill, so I know what it's like to have a brother.

And I know I still will. (I also know he'll be mortified by this if he sees it, so I'm trying to be super chill and not cry while I write.)

I guess what I'm trying to say is: love the people who are in your life. Make sure they know you care about them. Hold onto them. 

If you have to let them go, make sure you tell them you'll see them later.

And then?  Make sure that you do.




No comments:

Post a Comment