Friday, March 18, 2016

Reinvention

I am a list person. I love a list.

I have a list of all of the jobs I've held.

I have a list of people I loved who are no longer in my life.

I have a list of all of the numbers I've seen on a scale.

 The sizes of my clothing, which cover a most ridiculous range.

The places I've been.

The colours my hair has been.

The places I've lived.

I have reinvented myself more times than I would have thought possible. I keep starting over. I find myself in a place that doesn't work, and -- after fighting with it (and failing) and trying to make it something more and better and right, I go ahead and find another place, completely convinced that this -- THIS-- is going to be the right one.

Someday it will. Someday this bird will find the perfect perch from which to sing.

I asked my mom today, "How many times is too many for starting over?" And she said, sensibly as ever: "You have as many times as you need."

*****

I think of life as a series of classrooms. You learn all you can in one class, and then you move on.

There is no shame in moving on. 

There is no shame in personal evolution.

The only shame is in a refusal to grow.

*****

Don't be afraid to try new things. Don't be afraid to change and to try. It's what we're here to do.

Don't think reinvention is a failure. It's not.

It's an opportunity.

Take it.

No comments:

Post a Comment