Thursday, May 19, 2011

It's The End of The World As We Know It...

... and it's true, I pretty much feel fine.

So here's the thing: I was raised as a fundamentalist Christian. (I know, it surprises me as well, given the fact that I am a ... what was it again? Ignorant Left Wing Slut, I believe.) As such, I'm never really shocked to hear pronouncements that it's the END OF DAYS! And THE RAPTURE IS COMING! And so on and so forth.

However, I do have to say that I have been a smidgen taken aback by the notion that one could actually pinpoint the day. Apparently, I didn't read the Farmer's Almanac closely enough: "May 21st: Rainy and damp. Also, the beginning of the time of Judgement. Take an umbrella."

Here's what I'm wondering about this:

1. Say it's true and the Rapture IS on Saturday. How will Fox News cover that? (Assuming, of course, that there's anyone left in the Studio of Righteousness to even COVER the event ... which, frankly, I'm betting there WILL be.)

2. Will some of the "left behind" be incredibly bitter about some of those who are NOT "left behind"? ("Man, I can't BELIEVE that guy got to go hang out with JC and I'm still HERE! I'm WAY better than him!")

3. I don't think this will be good for the global economy. But maybe it will. Or maybe I won't even have to WORRY about it. Who can tell!?

4. What if it DOESN'T happen as predicted? Will the people who believe in it have a major theological shift and embrace -- atheism? What will happen to their faith? If you believe something so completely, and it doesn't occur ... what happens to you then? Where do you go from there?

I guess we'll all see.

No comments:

Post a Comment