Thursday, November 15, 2012

THANKSGIVING!


I know that Thanksgiving is not for another week, but I also know that my American readers probably won’t be logging in to see what I’m up to on Thanksgiving because they’ll be busy doing some of the following:

*cooking

*travelling

*corralling small children

*watching a parade. Or a football game

*eating and drinking heavily

So, yeah. While I have your attention, let me tell you something.

In October of 2010 I moved to New Hampshire from North Carolina. My entire family lives in the south. I’m the only one who’s up here in New England. While this was the absolute right choice for me (oh, was it ever) , the holidays were uncharted territory for me because I’d never spent them without family (or at least some sort of romantic partner).

What I quickly discovered was that there are families, and there are FAMILIES.

The number of people who reached out to me, who invited me to share their holiday celebrations, was overwhelming. The number of people who continue to do so is incredible. Every year, people check in with me to find out if I have plans, if I want to spend the day with them, if I would like to be included in their holiday meal and festivities.

It’s the sweetest, kindest, most loving thing.

And it makes me thankful. It’s what I think of when I get annoyed with political discourse or injustice and decide that people are just no damn good. People ARE good, y’all. We’re all capable of the most amazing, selfless love and acts.

I’d like to take the time to thank each and every person who has made it clear to me that I don’t have to be alone if I don’t want to be, and who have reached out and made certain that I know that they consider me part of their family. I love you guys. And: RIGHT BACK AT YOU.
I'm so thankful.

(If you’re still following along, I’d just like to share this link with you. A local radio station makes a big effort to raise funds and take care of people in need at this time of year. You can check it out here. You can just donate, or you can participate in some very cool auctions. I'm just throwing it out there.)

No comments:

Post a Comment