Monday, December 24, 2012

Christmas Eve

First click here so you can listen to one of my favorite Christmas songs. (It will open in another window. Hit play and then come back here. It doesn't seem to be available for download anywhere, which is a complete shame.)

And now let me tell you about what I did over the weekend.

On Saturday, I went to the home of some friends, Tom and Kelly Frey. They have this huge open house/cookie extravaganza every year at this time. I've never before been able to attend (what with the fact that they live in Maine, and I lived in North Carolina, and also I'm bad with directions, tend to get lost, and did I mention I have panic attacks at the thought of gatherings?), but this year I sucked it up, got out the GPS, and off I went.*

Y'all.

I haven't seen these people in ... um... fourteen years? Did. Not. Matter. For the record, I don't think I know people with bigger hearts, or who are more genuinely kind and generous. Even for me, who tends to fall right off the map with some regularity. You know what's better than being welcomed into someone's home with a giant, delighted hug?

Nothing. Nothing at all, really.

So. For you -- for all of us -- on Christmas? I hope you have that kind of warmth in your life. I hope that someone offers it to you, and I hope that you are able to offer it to someone else. Because that's what it's about.

Merry Christmas.

*with nary a panic attack. Progress!

No comments:

Post a Comment