Thursday, December 27, 2012

Thirty-Seven

When your birthday is two days after Christmas and you live in the Northeast, you expect some things:

*You expect that no one will be around.

*You expect that people might forget due to the bustle of the holiday.

*You expect that you might, you know, have a blizzard.

If you're me, you might also expect that you'll be sick, which is what I did for about ... let's see ... 26 years running, culminating with my 26th birthday. (I had mono. It was less than festive.) Every year that my birthday isn't also a time when I find myself in the hospital? It's a good year!

This year, none of those things have happened. Well, except for the blizzard. Holy snowstorm, y'all.

At any rate, I'm one of those people who kind of likes getting older. I know it's weird. But every year is kind of like a badge of honour, so I'm fine with it. It's kind of fun. (Well, maybe not for my mom. When I mentioned that I would be turning forty in a few short years, there was a pause on the other end of the phone and she said, "Oh. My. Let's not discuss that.")

Thirty-six was pretty splendid, all in all.

Thirty-seven? Is going to be freaking awesome.

And since it's my birthday and I get to do what I want, I'll make a birthday wish for you: I hope this year is freaking awesome for you as well. Have some adventures. Be bold. Be HAPPY. Hug some people and tell them you love them.

I know I will.

No comments:

Post a Comment