Wednesday, July 20, 2011

Sleepy, Dopey, and Grumpy

I  think I'm becoming nocturnal, which, having typed that, should surprise me not at all given the insomnia and the "so pale I sparkle like a Twilight vampire"* tendencies that I've been known to exhibit.

The thing is, I used to be a morning person. One of those annoying sorts who would leap out of bed at the crack of dawn and be raring to go, wide awake and alert. These days, I don't leap. I stumble. And neither "wide awake" or "alert" would be words used to describe the zombie shuffle I do from my bedroom into the kitchen, where I hope against hope that the smell of coffee will somehow activate the portion of my brain that is responsible for things like "functioning" and "earning a living".

It's sort of like this: Ever turn the key in a car ignition and have the engine not turn over but instead make that "I'm so on this ... any minute now ... oh screw it I quit" noise? That's the aural version of how I feel in the morning.

The problem with gradually becoming a night loving person is this: I HAVE to work during the day. If blogging and writing were my job, it wouldn't matter because I could write at any time but, sadly, blogging and writing are not my primary source of income, so the brains need to WORK during the daylight hours. (And they also need to learn how to REST in the evening ones!)

It's a problem. I realized it was a problem last night when the cat was giving me looks that could only be interpreted as "The fact that you're awake and up right now is SUPER ANNOYING PLEASE GO TO SLEEP AAAGHHH". (Or something like that.)

What to do?

Maybe I'll get it sorted out during my mini vacation. I'll let you know.

*I actually have a bit of a tan right now. Which I didn't even think was POSSIBLE, y'all. It's FUN not to look like the undead!


  1. After working and/or raising kids all my adult life, now in my extended period of unemployment I've discovered my true sleep pattern: Up around 7 a.m., two-hour siesta after lunch (those Mediterranean folks knew what they were doing), then stay up until 1 or 1:30 am. Repeat daily.

    Funny thing is, this is exactly the pattern my dad followed in retirement, except he got up at 5:30 am and took TWO naps, one before lunch and one before supper. :-)

  2. Danielle says: Since he retired, my dad has also become a serial napper. I find that I am an iffy napper. Some days, I take a nap and wake up refreshed and joyous. Other days, I take a nap and wake up more groggy than I was before I fell asleep.

    Honestly, I think that if I could just fall asleep and STAY asleep at night, things would be lovely. (It doesn't seem to be in the cards anytime soon!)