Friday, July 29, 2011

Dear America

First, let me say this: I am American, and I love my country.

(I felt like I had to get that out of the way before I said anything else. Which means: It's probably going to get a little ugly up in here, y'all.)

Now, having said that: Dear America, could we please stop the freaking insanity?

Could we act in the best interest of ALL of the people here? Please? And when I say "ALL of the people" I mean -- ALL OF THE PEOPLE. Not the loudest people. Not the craziest people. Not small splinter groups. Not one single religious group. Not Industry. Not Corporations. PEOPLE. The people who live here and who need basic, small things like: jobs. Places to live. Health care.

I think the people part of "We, the people" has been forgotten for "Us, some of the people."

I don't want to hear about any Tea Party anymore, unless someone's actually serving a hot beverage made from brewing dried leaves in hot water and serving it with delicious slices of cake. I don't want to hear about Republicans or Democrats or the Right or the Left and I definitely don't want to hear any other polarizing idiocy from Fox News, if that's all right.

I DO want to hear about elected officials comporting themselves with dignity and class, and digging themselves out of the mindset that their allegiance is to industrial or corporate interests and remembering that they are SUPPOSED to work in the best interests of the citizens that voted them in.

Those citizens -- I, me, you -- need some stuff. Like clean air and water. Like jobs.Like not favoring one at the expense of the other. Like food that is safe to eat and the money to buy it..

Enough with the ridiculousness. Enough with the "He said/She said" and the finger pointing and the BS that wouldn't be allowed or tolerated in ANY other kind of business. (Honestly, if anyone I worked with was as ineffective as the majority of our politicians, I would let them go.) Also, enough of bad mouthing your boss in public. It's disrespectful, it's rude, and it's beneath you. I don't CARE if you didn't vote for the President. I don't give a damn if he's not from your party. He won the election. So hush your mush and cut the crap and work with him. And in the next election, if the other party wins, I expect the same thing from whoever loses.

Seriously.

You know what I think? I think that when we show the world that we're about infighting and failing to work together, that when we're so into being considered right that we can't be respectful and responsible, and that when we put dogma ahead of people?

I think the terrorists laugh. I think it shows them that we're weak. I think it makes them feel justified.

I want it to stop. Now would be good.

No comments:

Post a Comment