Friday, April 13, 2012

Conversational Snippet Friday


So where do you see your life going?

What?

Like, what’s your life plan?

I don’t really HAVE a plan, per say. I’m winging it.

What do you mean, you don’t have a plan?

I mean that I don’t have a plan. I don’t think I need a plan.

Everyone needs a plan.

Not me.

I want to help you to make a plan.

Oh. That makes me sad. Like you think I’m a project. Like you have to fix me.

I didn’t mean that.

You did, though.

I just think that you’d benefit from a plan.

You know what? I’ve been the person with the life plan. I lived that life. And then – pfft. It exploded in my face. So I don’t think I need to have a plan. I don’t think I need to plot a definite course. You might need that – and good for you – but right now? I’m enjoying the ride. Can’t I just enjoy the moments as they come? Do I have to make an outline to make you happy?

No, but –

I’m not going to be a person who organizes my life into chapters. I get that you want to do that – I get that you want to buy a house, get married, plan a future. But I’m not going to be a character in one of those chapters. Not today. Probably not tomorrow. And I don’t need to be fixed. I’m not broken.

You feel strongly about this.

Yes.

I want to change your mind.

You should probably try listening to what I’m saying instead.

Why can’t you let me help you?

Why can’t you see that I don’t need help?

No comments:

Post a Comment