Tuesday, April 17, 2012

In and Out of Sorts


I’m feeling a little out of sorts today. (I love this expression, by the way, as though once I had a big bucket of sorts (which I picture looking a bit like Necco wafters) and now they are all gone, alas.) I don’t exactly know why. Maybe I’m just tired. Maybe I need to go outside and run around. Maybe I need to figure some things out, and the knowledge that I need to spend some time and work on my issues doesn’t seem at all appealing to me right this minute, so I’m just going to avoid those topics in my head and instead step into the quicksand of temporary apathy. Yes, I’ll get back to the personal improvement projects, but not RIGHT NOW, thank you.

Okay, now that I write this, I realize that I’m PRETTY sure it’s that last bit.

I know we all have stuff to work on – I mean, we do. No one is issue-free right? Maybe we all also need to cut ourselves some slack now and again. There’s so much pressure to be perfect, and it’s such a waste of time. Perfection is not achievable. I don’t want to be a perfect individual.

I just want to be a better one.

I think, maybe, that in order to become a better one? It’s important to realize that sometimes, you have to put down the bucket (you know, the one that you keep your sorts in) and stretch out a bit. Do some jumping jacks. Take some cleansing breaths. And realize that sometimes, it’s important to be better. And other times, it’s important just to be. Otherwise, you’re going to dump the bucket and find that yes, you are completely out of sorts.

I don’t think that’s anyone’s favorite way to be.

No comments:

Post a Comment