Friday, January 20, 2012

It Takes A Village. A Virtual One.

I know that there are people who don’t understand the concept of social media. I kind of think of it the same way I think of some musical genres at this point: if you don’t get it, then maybe it’s just not for you. That’s okay.  We don’t all have to like/need/want the same things.

But I do get a little offended when people are dismissive of the social media outlets, and it’s not just because I like to think of the internet as my personal playground.

No, the reason I get a little … fired up … when I hear someone talk about the fact that they think Facebook is stupid, or they don’t understand Twitter or blogging because “Why do people think I care about what they’re doing or thinking at any given minute and why do people write some of this stuff and seriously, who even cares about any of this” is this:

Social media allows for the creation of community in a way that didn’t exist before. I am friends with people via social media that I might never have met if left to my own, real world devices. I feel like I am able to put myself out there via Facebook and my blog in ways that my regular, occasionally shy, socially dorktastic self might not allow to be seen through the layers of awkward.

Also? I have seen SO many people receive huge outpourings of love and help and caring via social media while in times of complete crisis. I have seen little celebrations become big celebrations as people joined their voices in support and joy. People band together over causes in a way that isn’t always possible in real life. They make themselves heard.  

There’s something amazing – and to be honest, really beautiful – about the way our little virtual communities come together to support and love and honour one another. I’ve been fortunate enough to receive encouragement and support when I have been struggling, and I’ve also been blessed (and there’s no other word for it) to be able to reach out and lend a hand to other people.

So yeah, I get a little defensive when someone goes a little postal about the stupidity of Facebook and blogging. Until I remember – they don’t know. They can’t understand.  And I need to hope that they find a community as amazing, as friendly and loving, as the virtual ones I have found myself in.

No comments:

Post a Comment