Wednesday, June 1, 2016

So I Have This Idea...

... and it came to me as I watched another bout of internet nastiness where people judged and threatened someone they didn't even know.

What if -- and I'm just throwing this out there -- what if we talked to each other the way we wanted people to talk to our children?

I know there's that whole thing about treating other people the way you would like them to treat you, but I've noticed that a lot of us aren't very kind to ourselves, so I'm chucking that out the window. Instead, I'm going to treat people the way I would like them to treat the Wee One. With tolerance. With an open heart. With understanding and acceptance and love.

We want better for our kids than we want for ourselves, right?

We should want good things for everyone. We should want good things for complete strangers and people of other religions. When we see other people, instead of seeing their sexuality or the way they identify their gender or the paperwork that comes with their nationality or a lack of paperwork thereof, we should see them as someone's child.

BECAUSE THEY ARE.

They are someone's baby, no matter how old they are, and you should think of your children, and how much you love them, and how much it would hurt you if someone were terrible to them. Think about how you want your child to be seen and to be embraced by the world. And then take that and apply it to every other person in this human family, because everyone deserves to be approached with kindness and an open heart.

It's an idea. It might not be a great idea, but it's a start.

And God knows we have to start somewhere.

No comments:

Post a Comment