Friday, August 26, 2011

Indoor Camping

So along with everyone else on the east coast, I am prepping for the possibility of a hurricane, which mostly equals "prepping for the possibility of not having power for awhile", with "awhile" being an indeterminate amount of time that could be from 10 minutes to 10 days, depending on the severity of the storm. The good bit is that it's still summer, so I don't have to worry about not having heat.  The bad bit is that I need to stock up on food items that don't require cooking. Or, really, refrigeration. Just in case.

I had no idea what to buy. NONE. So I ended up buying really random things. Such as:

*Water (because my mom said I should have bottled water, during the call where she also said, "Honestly, Danielle, are you going to the store? I'm not sure you're taking this seriously enough," which made me think, "Oh, I guess I'm not since I don't even know where my flashlight IS.")

*Granola

*Granola bars (um, they were right beside the granola. And had chocolate and coconut on them. So ... yeah)

*Cocoa roasted almonds (I have no justification for this. Except -- Cocoa. Roasted. Almonds.)

*Bread.

*Peanut butter.

*Jelly.

*Cheese. Well, okay, three kinds of cheese. I don't know what I'm thinking I'm going to DO with all of this cheese, but I have it. In case someone else who has a grill or a firepit or something is like "Oh Noes! I have all of these eggs! What to do?" and then I can be like "Hey! I have CHEESE! Let's make omlettes!" but I really doubt that is going to happen. Maybe I just want to make cheese sandwiches. Or a nice cheese and cracker plate because I also have ...

*...LOTS of saltines. Like, six sleeves of them? Lots.

*Canned pineapple (why? I don't know except I thought "Oh, canned fruit won't spoil" and then the only canned fruit that seemed remotely attractive was the pineapple. Plus, if I don't eat it I can make sangria with it. Win-Win.)

*Wine. Because if I'm imbibing wine I won't notice that I have no power? I don't know, it seemed like a plan.

*Pickles. Again, random.

It occurs to me now, though, that between the cheeses and the crackers and the fancy dancy almonds and the pickles I very nearly have a low rent cocktail party going on. Which would be splendid, I think.

So maybe some of y'all should stop by. It''ll be a little windy, and we may be drinking and noshing by candlelight, but fun will be had.  The serious, hurricane-y kind.

No comments:

Post a Comment