Tuesday, August 16, 2011

Life, Lemons, Decisions

Henry Rollins once said: "When life hands you a lemon, say "Oh yeah, I like lemons. What else you got?"*

Yesterday, I felt like life was PELTING me with lemons. If you've ever been in a batting cage, imagine that. Only instead of shooting baseballs at you, the machine is firing lemons at you. And you don't have a baseball bat. And they're coming at you faster and faster until you're bruised and battered and knee deep in sticky (but clean smelling) lemons.

I have said more than once that when you're knocked down (by the aggressively flung lemon or otherwise), you have a choice: you can stay down, or you can get up.  I don't prefer the view from the floor. It's dirty and uncomfortable. So I say you should get up. Maybe a little more cautiously, armed with the knowledge that another blow could be on the way, but you get up anyway and you fight back, because you deserve more than a life lived down on the ground.

I'd rather face the lemons that are coming my way than hide from them.

So go ahead, life. Bring it.


*Ron White once said:" I believe that if life gives you lemons, you should make lemonade. And try to find somebody whose life has given them vodka, and have a party." Also an attitude I admire.

No comments:

Post a Comment