Thursday, August 25, 2011

Simply delicious

I've noticed that sometimes the things that are the most delicious are the things that are RIDICULOUSLY simple. (I may be noticing this at the moment because I am ravenously hungry, worked through lunch, and now have to eat little bits and bites of things. It's like a desktop picnic!)

You probably have your favorite simple nibblies. Here are some of mine:

*radishes, sliced and sprinkled with salt (I'm pretty sure that if "health" had a flavour, it would be this)

*cream cheese spread thinly on rye triscuits

*Slices of apple with slices of cheddar cheese

*stupidly simple sandwich: fresh tomato, thickly sliced, on crusty bread with a mild cheese. It's heaven on a plate (if you want to get a little crazy, you could add slices of dill pickle. Also glorious)

*sourdough pretzels with a dark, grainy mustard for dunking.

*celery and carrots dipped in 1/4 cup bleu cheese dressing with a couple of dashes of tabasco sauce mixed in. (They're like wings ... only ... not wings in any way! I suppose if you like ranch with your wings, you could use that. I don't get the point of the ranch. But maybe you do. If so, Ranch away, my friend.)

*This one's a little more complicated. Preheat your oven to about 400. Slice up a baking potato. Spray a cookie sheet with cooking spray. Lay down your potato slices and spray the top layer as well. (You're going to flip them). Cook 15 minutes, take out and flip,sprinkle with salt, cook 10 more minutes (or until crispy and brownish). Let cool. While cooling, mix sour cream and salsa together. Look -- potato-y nacho-y goodness. (I know, there's no cheese. There could be cheese. Go nuts -- it's your nibbles. Also I may have gotten the times wrong here... I'm not a real cook, and I don't play one on tv ... but you get the picture. Bake, flip, bake, eat. Just keep an eye on them until they're your preferred degree of crispy.)

I could go on -- and someday probably will -- but right now? I need to eat some of these nibbles. Happy snacking!

No comments:

Post a Comment