Thursday, September 6, 2012

Three Cheers for Charlene!

Today is my mom’s birthday.

I was about to say that my mom is awesome and then say something about how we’re a lot alike, but then I realized that is a backhanded way of saying I’m  awesome, which is kind of conceited, don’t you think?

However, my mom? Awesome.

And it’s true that we’re a lot alike.  We look alike. We finish each other’s sentences. We love the same places, the same music, and many of the same foods.

Heck, we work together. It’s not the first time we’ve worked together, either. I’ve been my mom’s boss more than once.  (She's ALWAYS the boss of me, she'll tell you. It's kind of true.)
My mom helped me to become a person who loves music, and art, and writing. She taught me that I was valuable, that I should believe in myself, that I am capable. She believes that I am beautiful, so sometimes I believe it. She taught me how to be strong. How to have courage. How to have faith.
My mom, man. She's pretty freaking amazing.

She's also my favorite person on this earth. She just is. There’s no one I’d rather hear the words “I’m proud of you” from; no one I’d rather make laugh; no one I’d rather sing along in the car with; and no one I’m more worried about disappointing. My mom is a rock star.

So if you know my mom, wish her a happy birthday. And tell her she’s awesome. It will embarrass her, but it’s true.

3 comments:

  1. Mom Charlene Happy Birthday!!! You are an amazing and awesome person and Mom!!! Enjoy your day! Love Kristen

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy Birthday Charlene!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You're awesome in large part because your mom is so amazing. Happiest of birthdays to a fabulous woman! Wishing you a year full of love and adventures (not too crazy adventures, but more like, oh... going on a road trip and singing Barry Manilow the whole time and then maybe randomly running into him and having him buy you lunch kind of adventure)! xo

    ReplyDelete