Wednesday, September 5, 2012

Hellllllloooooo, Jerry


A while back (which is code for, um, sometime last summer but I’m not sure when) I looked into becoming a part of a couple of blogging networks. I like writing, I thought, and I keep plugging away at this little venture (with the occasional vacation) and it might be nice to explore other opportunities – where oh where could this take me?

Turns out, nowhere. REJECTED. It was like a high school dance all over again. All of the other blogs were slow dancing with each other, and I was sitting in a chair by the wall, telling myself that I TOTALLY didn’t care.

It was a lie then and it’s a lie now. The difference is that back then I meekly accepted my fate. Now, however, I don’t have to. So I asked: I’d like to use this as a learning opportunity, so if you could let me know why my blog can’t be included in your network, that would be greatly helpful to me as I move forward. Thanks.

The overwhelming response was: Well, your blog isn’t about anything, really. It’s not about parenting and it’s not about marriage and it’s not about dating. It’s sometimes political, but it’s not about politics. It’s sometimes about things, but it has no theme. It’s not ABOUT anything.

This, of course, made me think of Seinfeld. “It’s a blog about NOTHING!”

Except, of course, that it’s kind of about my life.  Which is apparently lacking in a theme. I guess that if I wanted it to have a theme, a central idea that all of the posts swirl around, that would be do-able.

Do-able, but boring as hell for me, and probably for you to read. Oh goody, another blog about body image. Or loss. Or … WHATEVER. Dull. Dull as toast. Dry, characterless toast.

So I’m putting it out there to you, dear reader folk. Do you want a theme? Do you want to have an idea of what you’ll see here on any given day? Or do you like the randomness? I’m curious because, if people like the random, then what would be the point to insisting on a theme? That seems silly to me.

In the meantime, you won’t see any badges indicating that I belong to any networks. No blogging conferences for me, no bloggy fame or fortune. No book deal and no quitting my day job. Just the continual daily natterings for your day.

It works for me. I hope it’s working for you as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment