Wednesday, January 23, 2013

All Hail The Coffee Gods


I was up late-ish last night,  because I had my hairs did and then I was all “OOOH I look pretty” and then I realized that I needed to do laundry, which isn’t difficult but is time consuming, and THEN I thought I should put flannel sheets on my bed because whoa nelly, it’s cold this week, which meant that I had to chase the cat about the house because she’s pretty sure that “put flannel sheets on the bed” equals “please breakdance and chase your tail on every item of bedding as it goes on the bed and slow down the process as much as possible.”

So yeah. Up late.

Which meant that, this morning, when the alarm went off, I was all “OH I DON’T THINK SO” and instead of just hitting snooze, I took the time to set the second alarm for 30 minutes later.

In retrospect, this may have been an error.

When I staggered into my office, coffee in hand, I saw that I had … a lot of work. I mean, there was my usual work, and then there was a bunch of OTHER stuff that landed on my desk overnight.

I had a minor freak out and could feel myself starting to slide down the slope into anxiety land. But it was at that moment that I heard a voice.  A warm, inviting voice. A sultry, seductive voice. It was coming from my coffee cup. And the coffee said to me, all Barry White-y, “Don’t you worry. We’ve got this.”

FIVE CUPS OF COFFEE later, I am all caught up. Tasks appear on my screen like alien spaceships in Space Invaders and I shoot them down: Pew! Pew! Pew!

Also, I am WIRED.

WAY wired. Like, all nerves set on vibrate, all systems going at 150 mph, I think my eyeballs are actually even twitching wired. I’m typing at warp speed.  It’s awesome. It’s also a little bit terrifying. Because I’m totally going to crash at some point and when I do? I’m sure it’s not going to be pretty.

But when the coffee speaks to me? I listen. When it staves off the anxiety monsters? I am thankful.

Even if I DO need a nap later.

No comments:

Post a Comment