Monday, January 10, 2011

Life's Like an Hourglass, Glued to the Table

(I recently re-discovered my OLD blog. This was an entry from the spring of 2005; I'm reposting it because it is relevant to how I feel today.)

Original post date: Saturday, April 9th 2005 at 9:08am by Daniellebalentine at http://www.blogster.com/daniellebalentine/lifes-like-hourglass-glued



Related Tags: events, life


When I was a little kid, I imagined what life would be like when I was a grown-up, and I really thought that there would be some sort of epiphany where the world clicked into place, almost as if one day you would wake up and have crossed the town line into Adultville; someone would give you a certificate of residency, and maybe you''d have a house there and you and all of the other Adults would talk about the very important things that you had to do all of the time.


The thing was though, that I thought that I would recognize it when I got there. I thought that, as I got older, I would feel differently than I did when I was a kid.

But, as usual, I was wrong. I don''t feel that much different. Frankly, I have to tell you that this bums me out enormously.


Why? Let me tell you.

1. It is disconcerting to realize that, while you still feel spunky and spry on the inside, your body has other plans entirely (Good-bye, shoulder. Good-bye knees. Good-bye smooth, wrinkle free skin. Hello white, shiny hairs on my head).

2. I thought I would outgrow the awkwardness I felt when I was a kid. I thought that I would reach a point when I didn't care about what people thought of me. Let me check -- nope, still awkward. How is THAT fair? I ask you. It turns out that I have remained a total dork. (I am trying to work my dorkiness into an endearing trait. So far, it has failed).


However, there are some great things about getting older. I should probably list them, too.


1. Consider the alternative.

2. I get along with my parents better.


3. If I don't want to eat turnips, no one can make me. (When I was small, I thought they were turn-ups... because they turned up on our table at Thanksgiving. Why do people enjoy a root veggie that tastes the way I would imagine dirty socks would taste if you boiled them? Just asking). Also, as an adult, ice cream CAN be considered a meal.

4 (This is a good one). The more time you put in on this planet, the more you realize how beautiful it really is. Seriously. Right now, as I write, the springtime sun is peeking in through the blinds, all warm and gold. My fuzzy grey and white cat is curled up in my lap (she likes the computer ... she's weird), and my toes are warm in the strip of sunlight that falls just so across the floor. Outside, I can hear birds chirping. Life is so amazingly good. Would I have appreciated this ten years ago? Would I have noticed?


I don't think I would have.

I like it when the pros outweigh the cons. So come on, Time -- bring it. And if there is an Adultville, well, they're probably just saving my spot.

No comments:

Post a Comment