Monday, January 3, 2011

Travelin' Music

A couple of times a year, I get the travel bug: I am struck by the urge to be anywhere but here. I review my passport to see when it needs to be renewed. Photo albums of old trips come out and are sighed over. My closets seem to call to me: "Look at all of this luggage you are storing! Shouldn't you use it? Now?"

The world is a big place, and I have seen so little of it, I think. I could pack up and go. I can work from anywhere -- I have a broadband card, a cell phone, and a laptop. Why COULDN'T I go? Let's GO!

I can't go.  There's stuff to do, bills to pay, responsibilities to meet. But I still look at the map and long for the coast of Ireland and the ruins of Rome. Japan whispers my name. Ecuador gazes back at me levelly. Every island in the Carribean seems to dare me to show up. Provence and Paris crook a finger at me. Come on, they all say, you know you wanna.

The map of North America alone tempts me. The Grand Canyon. Michigan's Upper Peninsula. Sedona. Napa Valley. Portland, Oregon (the "other" Portland).  Martha's Vineyard (stillllll haven't been there). Miami. Anywhere in Montana.

I need to plan a trip. Anyone want to go on vacation?

2 comments:

  1. I'm thinking tropical. Warm. Balmy. All of the things that it is currently not outside my little living space ... running away and becoming a beach bum is getting more and more appealing ...

    ReplyDelete