Thursday, January 20, 2011

On Repeat

Sometimes, I annoy myself. I find myself mentally pacing back and forth over something, worrying it to death for no good reason, until I'm irritated and bored with my own thoughts.


I'd like to think that I'm not the only person who does this, but it's ridiculous. I think it's a bad sign when half of your brain is like "Must ... obsess ... over... this" and the other half sighs and says "Really? This AGAIN? Let's do something else. Anything else would be fine... we could look up videos on youtube as a distraction? NO? But this is so boooooooring."


Yes, that's right. One half of my brain is totally OCD, and the other half? ADHD. Can't let go of things, doesn't have the patience to dwell on them either and so all I end up doing is frustrating myself endlessly.


(It's days like this when I am so grateful that I work in an office by myself so that I am not driving everyone else up the wall too.)


My graceless thoughts keep stumbling over and about the same old thing today, and to no purpose. If there's one thing I've learned in life, it's that immersing myself in worry changes NOTHING. The energy and time I spend freaking out (which is a bit of an exaggeration, as I'm not flipping out, I'm just, you know, obsessing) could be put to much better use because it has no impact on outcomes. ACTIONS, those change outcomes. Worries? Cause grey hairs.

Sigh. 

Am I the only person who does this? 

2 comments:

  1. I do this all. the. time. Mostly, mine is from an overactive guilt complex. I'm actively seeking out ways of stopping, including self help books, therapy tricks, etc. I'll let you know if I come across anything useful.

    ReplyDelete