Thursday, July 9, 2015

Mooooving Along


I have been told that a cow wandering through a grassy field will stop short if it reaches a fence and just stand there. Even if the fence is only four feet wide and could easily be walked around. The cow, it is said, doesn’t have the depth of reasoning to consider that it could back up and proceed its wanderings on the either side of the fence. It doesn’t perceive the possibilities; it only sees the obstacle.

I don’t know if this is actually true, by the way.

I do know that this is true: I have been seeing obstacles and have been standing in front of them. Sometimes I kick them. Sometimes I cry. Sometimes I just stare. Cow-like, I have been stuck in one spot, my forward motion halted.

It occurred to me today that, unlike a cow, I have other options to consider.

I can back up.

I can go around.

Hell, I might even be able to jump over.

Or – and this is also a possibility – I can stand with this obstacle for a while and simply rest. An obstacle can be nice to sit on. There’s nothing wrong with taking some time out from your travels to regroup and nap.

So.

Thanks for putting up with me while I try to figure this one out. I’ll keep you posted as to how it goes.  

No comments:

Post a Comment